Sunday, August 7, 2011

Creating a Math-Rich Environment

This house is littered with the alphabet, but after I found a thread on WTM about creating a "math-rich environment," I realized I need to up my game on math! We have geometric solids and gazillions of blocks in the toy box, plus Jackson's rubber play mat is shapes instead of letters, the Groovie Blocks are at grandma and grandpa's house, and I have sets of Cuisenaire rods and pattern blocks in the garage. (They're still in the garage because Jackson still puts a lot of random stuff in his mouth!)

Now, I count with him all the time, we do blocks and talk about shapes, and that's probably all he needs at this point, but in anticipation of the future, I am coveting magnetic numbers, this "chunky" numbers puzzle, numbers dominoes, regular dominoes and maybe this math dice game for a few years from now, plus from RightStart: the abacus, the geoboards and the fraction puzzle. I think I can make some of this stuff, but for the time being: "How many segments are in this orange? Let's count! 1, 2, 3..."

No comments:

Post a Comment