Thursday, October 6, 2011

Bookapalooza

Bookapalooza


I took Jackson to see his grandparents in Vegas, and my mother-in-law took me to something called Savers, which is like a SuperGoodwill. But much neater. And nicer. And bigger. And not picked over. And cheaper. (Like 75 percent cheaper than in L.A.!) Suffice it to say, I picked up a few books. And then I got a few more later that day at the local library bookshop. (I just barely came in under the weight limit on my luggage on the way back!)

I was just lamenting that you never find Mo Willems books used. Never mind. I found a set of Pigeon discards from the Las Vegas Library system. Great condition, you can hard tell they were ever used, much less as library books.

And some of the interesting baby and board books: Two of Helen Oxenbury's sense books (I just read this wonderful book called Babies Need Books* that spoke very highly of Oxenbury, so I grabbed these); a Baby Einstein book called Language Nursery that has basic phrases in five languages, including Spanish and Japanese, the two languages taught at the immersion-language school around the corner; three Little Golden Books: Another Monster at the End of This Book, Ruth Krauss' I Can Fly and Perriot's ABC Garden by Anita Lobel; a vintage Sesame Street colors book; Madeline in London; an incredibly abused/well-used library-binding edition of a new-to-me book called Socks for Supper, from the old Parents' Magazine Press (very sweet story, reminiscent of O. Henry's Gift of the Magi); The Berenstain Bears' A Book (we love their B Book), and Gallop! which has fun moving pictures of animals.

*More on Babies Need Books in a future post


Some other treats (counterclockwise from top): The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes, Cranberry Thanksgiving (one of the harder-to-find FIAR books), The Boy Who Was Followed Home, written by Margaret Mahy and illustrated by my guy Steven Kellogg, two old Richard Scarry Picturebacks and a ValueTale! I also found The Value of Truth and Trust: Cochise and The Value of Believing in Yourself: Louis Pasteur at the Vegas Savers--both of which we already had--but The Value of Respect: Abraham Lincoln is new to us!

Oh, and then I picked up just a few other Scholastic paperbacks and other odds and ends. God bless Scholastic paperbacks for making great children's book so widely available. I try not to buy too many flimsy paperbacks at L.A. prices, but I can afford them at Vegas prices. :)

Aardema, Verna - Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears - Caldecott Medal
Arnosky, Jim - I See Animals Hiding
Asch, Frank - Bear Shadow
Asch, Frank - Happy Birthday, Moon
Bennett, William J. (ed.) - The Children's Book of America
Berenstain, Stan & Jan - The Berenstain Bears and the Trouble with FriendsThe Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
Carle, Eric - Today Is Monday
Crews, Donald - School Bus - We love, love, love his Freight Train book
Cuyler, Margery - Skeleton Hiccups
Danes, Emma - The Usborne First Book of Music - Too advanced for J., but I have no music knowledge at all, so I have to start somewhere.
dePaola, Tomie - The Popcorn Book
dePaola, Tomie - Tony's Bread
Gibbons, Gail - Owls - Jackson LOVES owls, I love Gail Gibbons.
Ginsburg, Mirra - Across the Stream
Gomi, Taro - The Crocodile and the Dentist
Gross, Ruth Belov - The Bremen-town Musicians
Gross, Ruth Belov - True Stories About Abraham Lincoln
Hogrogian, Nonny - One Fine Day
King, Patricia - Mabel the Whale
Masi, Wendy S. - Gymboree Baby Play - I love the Toddler Play book, so I couldn't resist.
Neitzel, Shirley - The Bag I'm Taking to Grandma's
Ness, Evaline - Sam, Bangs & Moonshine - Caldecott Medal
Oxenbury, Helen - Tom & Pippo Make a Mess (2 of 4), Tom & Pippo Go for a Walk (3 of 4)
Pallotta, Jerry - The Skull Alphabet Book
Pinczes, Elinor J. - A Remainder of One
Rey, H.A. - Curious George
Richardson, I.M. - The Wooden Horse: The Fall of Troy
Rylant, Cynthia - This Year's Garden
Steptoe, John - The Story of Jumping Mouse - Caldecott Honor
Testa, Fulvio - A Long Trip to Z
Truss, Lynne - Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!
Wright, Freire & Michael Foreman, Seven in One Blow

No comments:

Post a Comment