Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pointless Guilt

I keep meaning to do attention-span-building Montessori-style activities with Jax, but we tried this one thing once with Cheerios, and he just ate all the Cheerios. There was no stopping him. And so I just shrugged and gave up and put away the "pay attention mat," but I want to get back to it when he turns 18 months old at the end of the month. But I might not. But I think it would be good for both of us if I did.

I also can't believe we're still reading D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths aloud. It's been underway for most of the year. Sometimes he asks for it, but usually when I start reading (unless he's eating) he starts saying "No no" and doing the STOP sign. Sigh. I'm ready to move on to the Golden Bible already, for both our sakes, but I feel this compulsive need to finish, so I have to move this up the priority list! I know I'm just a pretentious jerk for doing a classical readaloud cycle with a toddler, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe I can refine my technique somehow, or maybe he'll like the Bible stuff more. The early Old Testament stuff is pretty entertaining. Anyway, sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment