Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What's Working, What's Not Working

What's Working
* We're moving on to Talking Words Factory, or as Jackson puts it, "New frogs! New frogs!"
* More Starfall is a huge favorite. Whenever J catches me on the computer, he asks for Starfall by name and we do Starfall numbers, colors and "learn to read." We actually have only explored a fraction of what they have to offer, but right now the CVC Word Machines are a fave, in part because they link so well with Talking Words Factory.
* Faced with a keyboard or a row of ordered number blocks, Jackson can correctly name/recite/something the numbers 1 to 9.

What's Not Working
* I've tried Reading Bear a few times, and Jackson watches some of it, but the segments just don't keep his attention for very long.
* Jackson loves scissors (and all office supplies) so I pulled out a Kumon First Steps Workbook I've been hoarding, but I quickly discovered it's not yet time for Let's Cut Paper! J has no clue how to hold the scissors, and he couldn't even quite figure out how to hold both handles and push them together with two hands. So that's going back on the shelf!
* Without the numbers right in front of him, Jackson can only sometimes identify numbers, and his counting involves a lot of "one two one two four five...twenty." He clearly has lots of numbers jumbled around in his head, but we need to sort them out a little more clearly.

So, more numbers and counting to come, and some beginning CVC stuff is underway.

1 comment:

  1. Whoo hoo! Time marches on, doesn't it? I haven't started numeral identification yet with my daughter, so she'd probably miss them all.

    You are making me remember a very butchered copy of Let's Cut Paper we own that is stored away somewhere in the house. I think my son used it around three and four.

    ReplyDelete