Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Uh, uh, uh?" "What is this? This is..."

Last night I read a Montessori blog post (now lost to the Internet ether) about a kid who started at school with a language delay because his mother understood all his grunts and baby sounds and translated for him, so the kid never had to learn to form real words.

Overall Jackson's language development is coming along just fine, but he totally says "Uh, uh, uh?" when he means, "Mother, please identify this object for me." I've decided to preface all of my answers with the question he should be asking: "What is this? This is turnips, potatoes and carrots." or "What is that? That's a golf cart." I'm hoping it prompts him to start thinking about "wh-questions" and maybe even asking them soon.

Weirdly, I swear to god that at about a year old, when he very first started talking ("ball" "bubble") he also would sometimes say, "What is this?" That's long gone and I probably just imagined it, but let's get back there kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment