Saturday, July 30, 2011

Happy 16-Month Birthday, Baby!




Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go
TODAY'S READING: Jackson is finally ready for Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go and we've been looking at it a lot. He likes asking about all the vehicles and identifying the various funny animals. Carrot car!

TODAY'S MOM HOMEWORK: The free PDF How and Why I Taught My Toddler to Read by Larry Sanger (cofounder of virtually my favorite part of the Internet, Wikipedia). Takeaway so far: Fine, fine, I'll order that Leapfrog Magnet Set to go with everything else I'm doing. I was really hoping to go old-school on fridge magnets, but I think having the alphabet be a talking toy just makes sense.

TODAY'S PROGRESS: I thought for sure Jackson learned his first letter ("O") but then he went and called it "A" when I was trying to show off his mad skillz to his daddy. (A is for argh!) In other news, on the advice of Jen B., I have three baskets of books set up in Jackson's room (as well as the main baby bookshelves in the living room). The baskets of Little Golden Books and Leslie Patricelli books are still getting quite a bit of circulation, but I've noticed that Jackson has all but abandoned the Karen Katz lift-the-flap books, Where's Spot? by Eric Hill and the touch-and-feel book the state of California gives you when your kid is born. So today I swapped those out for his first set of full-size "Seuss." He has quite a few pocket-size Seusses on his board book shelf, but this is the real stuff!

Dr. Seuss's ABC / Beginner Books
There's a Wocket in My Pocket by Dr. Seuss
Bears on Wheels by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Ten Apples Up on Top by Theo. LeSieg
The Berenstains' B Book by Stan and Jan Berenstain
He Bear She Bear by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Inside Outside Upside Down by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss
Dr. Seuss's ABC Book

No comments:

Post a Comment