Thursday, March 1, 2012

Used Book Report: Latest from Savers in Vegas

Here are the highlights from my latest trip to Savers in Las Vegas with my mother-in-law.

This 1965 retelling of The Gingerbread Man by Wallace C. Wadsworth, illustrated by Anne Sellers Leaf has supercute vintage illustrations (find the ladybug on almost every page!), and even got a good review from a businessman at the airport who overheard me reading it to Jackson while we waited. ("That's a good story!") The Riddles book is an English translation of a 1991 Czech book by Vaclav Fischer, illustrated by Blank Rojejskova, in a very bright, almost '70s style. Lots of fun and brainstorming to come out of this one!

The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle, a hardback of Guess How Much I Love You and a book called Feelings by Aliki, the third of which is extremely non-linear and almost a series of oblique, too-canny cartoons about emotions. Looking forward to plumbing the depths of this one.

Seuss writing as LeSieg plus Roy McKie illustrations? Love it, even though I must admit I've never heard of Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog? before. I unreservedly adore The Digging-est Dog, which I've been looking for for ages. It was a childhood fave, and then I was so happily reintroduced to the Perkins-Gurney tag team through Hand Hand Fingers Thumb when Jackson was little(-er). Also, I found two neat Little Golden Books: an early '90s Sesame Street environmental book called From Trash to Treasure by Liza Alexander, and Four Puppies by Anne Heathers, which is about the changing of the seasons as seen by four collie pups.
Under the Bodhi Tree is a pretty illustrated storybook about the life of Siddhartha from the Dharma Realm Buddhist Association; A Little Pigeon Toad is one I have already (love Gwynne's wordplay books!) so this one is for resale; and a Sesame Street counting book called I Can Count to Ten and Back Again by Linda Hayward, since this is going to be numbers-counting year with J.
And last but not least, Snow Lion by David McPhail, and Bicycle Bear, both of which I got on the strength of the Parents Magazine Press brand. And then, last but not least, I was thrilled to come across the adorable and important I Am a Bunny tall book  illustrated by Richard Scarry!

I have one other special treasure from Savers that I need to show you, but it's so fun (for me at least) that it'll get a stand-alone second post. Happy thrifting everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment