Sunday, November 24, 2013
Tuesday, November 19, 2013
from Josette Frank's Your Child's Reading Today, Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1954.
- Amahl and the Night Visitors - Gian-Carlo Menotti. Adapted by Frances Frost. Illus. by Roger Duvoisin. Whittlesey House. Beautiful pictures illustrate the opera story of a crippled boy, the Three Wise Men and a miracle.
- Christmas in the Woods - Frances Frost. Illus. by Aldren A. Watson. Harper. A lovely Christmas poem comes to life in exquisite and appealing illustrations.
- Maggie Rose - Ruth Sawyer. Harper. A little girl and her family celebrate a community Christmas in Maine.
- The Light at Tern Rock - Julia L. Sauer. Illus. by Georges Schreiber. Viking. An unforgettable Christmas in a lighthouse brings to Ronnie its true meaning in a fine story with a salty tang.
- Once in the Year - Elizabeth Yates. Illus. by Nora Unwin. Coward-McCann. Tender and reverent retelling of the old legend of the animals talking on Christmas Eve.
- Paddy’s Christmas - Helen A. Monsell. Illus. by Kurt Wiese. Knopf. A bear cub finds out that Christmas “makes you feel good from the inside out.”
- The Long Christmas - Edited by Ruth Sawyer. Illus. by Valenti Angelo. Viking. Thirteen unusual stories in a beautiful book for the literary child.
- Told Under the Christmas Tree - Selected by the Association for Childhood Education International. Illus. by Maud and Miska Petersham. Macmillan. Stories old and new from many lands for the Christmas season.
- The Birds’ Christmas Carol - Kate Douglas Wiggin. Houghton. A charming old-fashioned story with a welcome message of love and good will mingled with tears.
- Christmas Stories - Charles Dickens. World Book. Famous tales for Yuletide reading. (Also: A Christmas Carol)
- The Night Before Christmas - Clement C. Moore. Illus. by Arthur Rackham. Lippincott. Beautifully illustrated edition of this old favorite.